Frequently asked questions

The FAQs are ordered according to subjects on which the questions are based: Admission, Studying, Visa/Residence permits. If your question is not answered here, please contact us.



Q: When does the program start?

A: The Master Program always starts in the autumn semester. Please find more information here and here

Q: What are the requirements when coming from a Fachhochschule/technical college?

A: In principle, students of the University of Applied Sciences with a Bachelor's degree are only admitted to our course if the average grade is at least 5. The teaching commission then checks the equivalence of their degree in terms of content. 

Q: When is the deadline for applying for the program?

A: For inquiries regarding the registration deadlines please get back to the student’s administration office of our University. In case you are still ahead of your final exam we recommend to apply nevertheless. You will be admitted under the condition that you have the relevant grade in the final exam. The final grade can then be submitted in the summer. An assessment only takes place after registration. On this webpage you will find the registration deadlines.

Q: Are students in biology allowed to the program?

A: Biology students are allowed to the program. 




Q: Are there scolarships available for foreign students?

A: There are no scholarships available for foreign students, students are generally supported by their parents. However, here you should find out what scholarships you are eligible for in your home country.

While student life in Switzerland is a bit more expensive, the fees of the university are relatively low. Please find more information on the budget for students here.

Q: What are the tuition fees?

A: The tuition fee per semester is 850.00 CHF plus 10.00 CHF for the student’s association: 

Please find further information on tuition fees here.

Q: Is German required for the program?

A: Our Master program is in English – German and French is not required. German is a plus to get around in Basel, which is, however, very international city, so you will be able to find your way around without much german language skills. 


Inquiries on Visa/ Residence Permits


Q: Can I change the residence permit?

A: For inquiries about residence permits please contact the Student Administration Office at the main building of the University called „Kollegienhaus“.

Q: How long does it take to issue a visa for nonEU residents? 

A: According to past applications it takes two to three months to process a long-term student visa for nonEU residents. For further information please contact the Swiss embassy.