Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering
Biomedical Engineering is a rapidly emerging discipline that applies engineering tools and methods to medical diagnostics and treatment. Main goals are to provide more and better care with less people and to increase cost effectiveness in healthcare systems. Biomedical engineers are engaging for example in digitization, automatization and miniaturization of medical diagnostic and treatment devices. This includes developing robotic endoscopes, new MRI-technology and visionary image analysis and registration tools.
The Master´s program is part of the Medical Faculty at the University Basel and organized by the Department of Biomedical Engineering. It is designed for students holding a Bachelor’s degree of various backgrounds like engineering, natural sciences, computer sciences, medicine or health sciences. With the Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering in their hands, the graduates can pursue a scientific career, for example by applying for a doctoral program in Biomedical Engineering or for positions in a wide range of professions in the Medtech industry.
Please see details on the application process: Link
Students with a bachelor’s degree with an anatomy/physiology or engineering background may apply.
- Human Medicine
- Sport, Exercise and Health
Natural Science Bachelors
- Computational Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Computer Sciences
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Fundamentals in biomaterials science
- Behavior of medical implants in the human body
- Design and characterization of materials
- Regenerative medicineBiomaterial-based control of stem cell function
- Translational challenges towards industrial exploitation and clinical fruition
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology in Medicine
- Materials and Technologies in Dentistry
- Cells and Technologies in Regenerative Medicine
- Integrating various imaging modalities into the surgical room
- Optical or magnetic stereotactic tracking devices
- Guide for the medical doctors during the intervention
- Advanced intra-operative navigation techniques
- Fundamentals to operate these complex systems in a medical environment
- Practical experience in developing future image-guided therapy solutions
- Computer-Assisted Surgery
- Medical Image Analysis
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Master program in 3 semesters full time
- Course language English
- Start in the fall semester
- Choose between 2 majors: Biomaterials Science & Nanotechnology or Image-Guided Therapy
"Nanomedicine presents opportunities for advancing human health care. The University of Basel offers Master students in Biomedical Engineering a structured path for acquiring basic and interdisciplinary knowledge especially on materials science in medicine. It fosters clinician and scientist collaborations through direct interactions at all stages of research."
Prof. Dr. Bert Müller
Head of Teaching Committee
"We are currently crossing a tipping point in medicine: By adapting methods like deep learning, image guided therapy is about to revolutionize diagnosis, treatment and drug development. DBE´s master´s program in Image-Guided Therapy paves the path to this exiting new world for students of various backgrounds in engineering, natural sciences, computer sciences, medicine or health science."
Prof. Dr. Philippe Cattin
Head of Department of Biomedical Engineering (DBE)
"I think this program offers an interdisciplinary training opportunity for graduates in both, engineering/natural sciences and medicine-related disciplines. Lacking competences in the counterpart are acquired in the first semester. Therefore, the concept promotes a fruitful interplay and supports translation to clinics for the benefit of patients."
Dr. Simone E. Hieber
Project manager of master’s program development